Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Do you wanna be my friend?

When I was a kid, I collected horse pictures, or magazine scans of my fave celebrities. But these days the kids are more interested in collecting friends. The more friends they have, the better they feel. But it’s not important to know them in person, just to impress others - I guess.

I never understood why it’s important to have about 500+ friends on Facebook. But I guess the kids feel more popular having so many ‘friends’. But they aren’t really their friends, they are mostly only a number. One of my friends told me about a guy who had that many ‘friends’ on Facebook, but when he needed help because he moved into his first own apartment, there were only two people there who helped him. So my question: why do you need so many so called 'friends'?

Is a real and true friendship still possible, when everyone is online all the time? Is this a species which still exists, or will it die out? I love my friends, the people I know in real life. I have also firstly met people online and then in real life, that’s a good thing, too. I believe that it still can exist, and that it is way better and much more important than a guy you justed added that you have one more ‘friend’ on your list. And when you don’t like him or her anymore, you just delete that person. Which is not very friendly, and in my mind this proves that it’s only named ‘friends’ but has nothing to do what we really know as a friend.

Please don't get me wrong: I love to get in touch with people online, that's why I'm on blogger and twitter and now also on Movellas, but I like to write with these people, to communicate with them. For me it's a difference if I chat with people, spending time with them and get to know them better, or if they are just a number on a list. So of course you can have 500+ friends, and it's for sure a good thing, but not when you only try to have a large amount of 'friends' and don't care about or are interested in them. Because in my mind, people deserve to be more than just a number on a list.



be close to your real friends, because they make you smile

What is friendship for you? Do you enjoy spending time with your friends? Or do you think it’s easier having only friends online and never really meet them?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was told once that I was a nobody because I follow more people on Twitter than follow me. Only the "cool" people have the same amount of followers and following.

There are friends on FB of mine that I grew closer to on FB. I kind of like that.

Unknown said...

You are not a nobody, no one is that. Everyone is special in her very own way. I guess many go on Twitter and think they get a large amount of followers in the blink of an eye, but it's not like that. I noticed so many guys follow someone, and then unfollow them again. Many, mostly teenagers, only wants to have a high number, so I guess they only follow you in the hope you follow them back, and no matter what you do, they'll unfollow you because they want to keep their number of people they follow low.
But they are not a celebrity and most people follow more than they have followers. And I'm not on Twitter because I want to have more followers than Lady Gaga - who is currently leading with about 21,000,000+.
I want to get in touch with people, and communicate with them ;)

Thanks for your comment, Jen.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I agree, people are not "nobodies" because of the number of people following them on Twitter or anywhere else. I enjoy "meeting" people online, but I don't go for the numbers because that's not what is important to me. The connections I make with others is what is most important to me.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sanny .. I've always been wary of Facebook - but once I'm back .. I'll get on to both and start using them - but I'll only go with people I know and via blogging that will keep me occupied for a while!! Then there's twitter etc ..

Then scheduling my life - and getting out to visit friends ...

Back to your question - I enjoy meeting people via blogging and in some ways know many of them fairly well ... just through the interaction.

I'm aware of ephemeral people ..

Cheers Hilary

RCB said...

They are mostly only a number - ain't that the truth. Today I asked how many of my students were not on FB and guess what - only two raised their hand. Yes, they were slightly outn.u.m.b.e.r.e.d.

Unknown said...

@Tina: The number is never important, I mean some people just 'buy' followers, they do not care about them, only want to have a huge amount. The connection is really important, to write with them, and get to know them better.

@Hilary: I'm also wary of Facebook and don't really like it - security issues. But I love blogger and twitter, it's a good way to get in touch with people who you might would have never met under different circumstances.

@RCB: Every student is on Facebook. Yes, I know that and can't say if it's only a good thing. I mean when kids get to know each other in person, one of the first questions is: can I add you on Facebook? It's for them already normal that everyone is there.

Thanks for commenting ;)

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...